ALBIE DONNELLY, Liverpool- born singer/saxophonist and bandleader began his career in London as a session musician playing on recordings by Bob Geldof and the Boomtown Rats, Graham Parker and many others.
In 1973 he formed the now legendary band SUPERCHARGE. The band’s blend of R. ‘n’ B. and Funk plus their wild on- (and off!) stage-show made them a sensation on the British 70’s live- club scene.
In the 80’s the band signed with Virgin Records and toured extensively in GB and all over Europe with such names as Ray Charles, Fats Domino, B. B. King, Chuck Berry and Queen – culminating in the Hyde Park concert in front of more than 100,000 people.
From then on ALBIE has led successful tours all over Europe (Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, France, Poland, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland) and recently back home again in GB, confirming the bandleaders consistent popularity.
His soulful voice and unique horn-sound attest to his R. ‘n’ B. roots and his being steeped in the music of the all-time greats
Quote from B. B. King: “SUPERCHARGE is Europe’s finest Rhythm ‘n’ Blues Band.”
This is his first soloalbum … which contains a selection of some personal favourite songs.
And you will hear Albie … crazy and loud and you will hear Albie in a sometimes very sentimental mood … both sides of Albie are real great.
He is one of these criminal underrated musicians !
Listen to this album and you will believe me !
Mal Bowers (keyboards)
Albie Donnelly (vocals, sacophone)
Lance Donnelly (drums)
Gaz Gaskell (saxophone)
Dick Hanson (trumpet)
Terry Kennaugh (guitar)
John Lewis (guitar)
Phil Loughran (guitar)
John McCormick (bass)
Roger Morris (percussion)
Paul Owens (saxophone, strings, keyboards)
01. Don’t Do That She Might Get Mad (Cracklin) 3.19
02. Main Squeeze (A.Donnelly/Shepley) 3.17
03. I Won’t Cry Anymore (Brown) 2.34
04. You Had Your Chance (A.Donnelly/Shepley) 2.43
05. Hold It (Vinson) 4.10
06. Sir La Dude (A.Donnelly) 4.35
07. Personal Manager (Jones/King) 4.19
08. The Spirit In Me (Fahey) 3.27
09. Cried Last Night (Brown) 3.30
10. In A Sentimental Mood (Ellington/Mills) 3.10
11. Cakewalk Into Town (Mahal) 2.27
12. Gotta Be The Boy (A.Donnelly/Shepley) 2.57
13. Every Time We Say Goodbye (Porter) 3.40