Boniface Ferdinand Leonard “Buddy” DeFranco (February 17, 1923 – December 24, 2014) was an American jazz clarinet player. One of few clarinetists playing bebop, DeFranco was described by critic Scott Yannow as the leading American jazz musician on his instrument from the 1940s until Eddie Daniels came to prominence in the 1980s. In addition to his own work as a bandleader, DeFranco led the Glenn Miller Orchestra for almost a decade in the 1960s and ’70s.
Born in Camden, New Jersey, DeFranco was raised in South Philadelphia. He was playing the clarinet by the time he was 9 years old and within five years had won a national Tommy Dorsey swing contest.
He began his professional career just as swing music and big bands—many of which were led by clarinetists like Artie Shaw, and Benny Goodman—were in decline. While most jazz clarinet players did not adapt to this change, DeFranco successfully continued to play clarinet exclusively, and was one of the few bebop clarinetists.
In 1950, DeFranco spent a year with Count Basie’s Septet. He then led a small combo in the early 1950s which included pianist Sonny Clark and guitarist Tal Farlow. In this period, DeFranco recorded for MGM, Norgran and Verve; the latter two labels were owned by Norman Granz.
During the years 1960-64, DeFranco released four innovative quartet albums as co-leader with the accordionist Tommy Gumina.
He was bandleader of the Glenn Miller Orchestra from 1966 to 1974, under the name, “The World Famous Glenn Miller Orchestra, Directed By Buddy DeFranco”. He also performed with Gene Krupa, Charlie Barnet, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, Billie Holiday and many others, and released dozens of albums as a leader.
DeFranco died in Panama City, Florida at the age of 91 (by wikipedia)
As far as I know, this Album was never released as Cd …
So enjoy another sentimental, listen to this brilliant Big Band Sound … ad you´ll hear some magic moments and much more !
Bob Crea (saxophone, cornet)
Danny D’Imperio (drums)
Buddy de Franco (clarinet)
Bobby Hackett (trumpet, cornet)
Pat LaBarbera (Saxophone)
much more musicians
01. Medley: Moonlight Serenade (Miller/Parish) + In The Mood (Garland) 4.05
02. A String Of Perls (Gray) 3.36
03. Sunrise Serenade (Carle/Lawrence) 3.33
04. My Sentiment (Fischer/Guttmann) 2.54
05. Magic Moments (Bennett) 2.49
06. Bugle Call Rag (Myers/Schoebel/Pettis) 4.05
07. Tuxedo Junction (Feyne/Hawkins/Dash/Johnson) 3.06
08. Serenade In Blue (Warren) 3.24
09. The Odd Couple (Hefti) 5.00
10. American Patrol (Whitney/Gray) 3.07
11. St. Louis Blues March (Handy) 3.48
12. Moonlight Serenade (Miller/Parish) 0.42
13. The complete concert (in one take) 41.14