Autobiography is a live recording by pianist and flautist Abdullah Ibrahim (also known as Dollar Brand), taken from a June 18, 1978, concert in Switzerland. On the recording, Ibrahim recalls his childhood in South Africa through the songs he learned then, progressing to his own compositions in adulthood. Originally released as a two-disc LP set, the album has since been reissued on CD. (by wikipedia)
Recorded live, this two-LP solo set features pianist Abdullah Ibrahim performing songs from his youth, a Duke Ellington medley, “Take the ‘A’ Train,” “I Surrender Dear,” Thelonious Monk’s “Coming on the Hudson” and some newer pieces, including one (“Khoisan”) that he takes as a flute solo. The music is often taken as spontaneous medleys and, although the song titles are often incorrect, this twofer really does a fine job of summing up Ibrahim’s powerful and spiritual music up to 1978. (by Scott Yanow)
What a great piece of music … listen and enjoy !
Recorded live at the Nyon Jazz Festival/Switzerland, on June 18th, 1978.
Dollar Brand (piano)
01. What Really Happened in the Cornfields is that the Birds Made Musical all the Day and so I Let a Song Go Out of my Heart at Duke’s Place” + “Anthem For the New Nations (Ibrahim) 5.11
02. Biral (Ibrahim) 3.46
03. Gwidza – Yukio-Kahlifa – Intro Liberation Dance (Ibrahim) 7.15
04. African Marketplace – Tokai – Llanga – African Sun (Ibrahim) 9.04
05. The Dream (Ibrahim) 2.30
06. Liberation Dance (Ibrahim) 2.19
07. Did You Hear That Sound ? – Our Son Tsakwe – The Wedding – I Surrender Dear – One Day When We Were Young (Ibrahim) 12.33
08. Drop Me Off in Harlem 1.123
09. Take the “A” Train (Strayhorn) – Coming On The Hudson (Monk) – Moniebah (Ibrahim) 9.01
10. Little Boy (Ibrahim) 2.30
11. Cherry (Ibrahim) 2.04
12. Ishmael – Mannenberg – Children Of Africa/Banyana – Peace-Salaam – Anthem For The New Nations (Ibrahim) 13.41
13. Khoisan (Ibrahim) 5.28
This is another item from the great greygoose record collection.
Thanks a lot !