“This is not a “Best Of…” album. Although we have included tracks like “Radio Africa”, our main aim has been to provide songs or recordings that are not already available – and to do it in a way that shows a cross-section of our life as a band: studio recordings, bedroom demo recordings and some live recordings.
With three studio albums to its credit and a bona fide hit with “Radio Africa” (from Latin Quarter’s debut album, Modern Times), this politically minded worldly pop band decided to call it quits, leaving behind this compilation of oddities, rarities, unreleased demos, and re-recordings. For those looking for the hit, “Radio Africa” (album version) is here in all its splendor, but most of the remaining tracks are exclusive to this release.
The ones that have been released elsewhere include the beautiful “The Colourscheme” (sung by Yona Dunsford), which was a B-side, and “The New Millionaires,” which is the same version as the one on their debut. Other songs from the debut (“Truth About John,” “America for Beginners,” “Toulouse”) are either in demo form or re-recordings, all equal to the passionate album versions. “See Him!,” “Snow Blind,” and “The Big Pool” are funky live tracks never released (or recorded?) in studio form. “February 1990,” “Pyramid Label,” and the title track are demos of songs never officially released.
“Dominion” is the German-language version of the “Swimming Against the Stream” album track. There are musical surprises around every corner, almost every one of them from the creative minds of vocalist/guitarist Steve Skaith and lyricist Mike Jones.
Packed with so much quality music unavailable elsewhere, this is the perfect introduction to Latin Quarter’s eclectic musical repertoire and the perfect rarities disc at the same time. Who woulda thunk it? (by Steve “Spaz” Schnee)
Yona Dunsford (keyboards, vocals)
Greg Harewood (bass)
Steve Skaith (vocals, guitar)
Richard Wright (guitar)
Darren Abraham (drums on 11., 15.)
Dave Charles (drums on 03., 09.)
Paulinho Da Costa (percussion on 07.)
Martin Ditcham (percussion on 13.)
Carol Douet (background vocals on 03., 08., 09., 11., 14. vocals on 06., 15., 16., percussion on 11.)
Steve Greetham (bass on 08.)
Steve Gregory (saxophone on 13.)
Steve Jeffries (keyboards on 06., 09., 14.)
Kate St John (saxophone on 04.)
Martin Lascelles (keyboards on 03., 09., 11., 15., 16.)
Ricky Stevens (drums on 06., 08., 14., 16.)
Paul Slowly (drums on 01.)
01. Truth About John (Recorded 1990) (Skaith) 3.41
02. Nothing Like Velvet (Demo Recording 1989) (Skaith) 3.29
03. See Him! (Live Recording 1986) (Harewood/Wright/Skaith/Dunsford) 3.56
04. February 1990 (Demo Recording 1990) (Skaith) 1.38
05. Race Me Down (Demo Recording 1988) (Skaith) 4.08
06. Toulouse (Skaith) 5.04
07. Dominion (German Lyrics) (Skaith)
08. Radio Africa (Keefe/Skaith) 3.53
09. Snow Blind (Live Recording 1986) (Keefe/Skaith) 3.41
10. The Colour Scheme (Skaith) 3.31
11. The Big Pool (Live Recording 1987) 4.24
12. It Makes My Heart Stop Speaking (Demo Recording 1988) (Skaith) 4.14
13. The New Millionaires (Jeffries/Skaith) 3.38
14. Pyramid Label (Skaith) 6.07
15. The Men Below (Skaith) 4.38
16. America For Beginners (Skaith) 8.07 (*)
German lyrics on 07: Harry Gutowski
(*) I dedicate this song to Ronald Trump !