Don Lowes was Born in (Wallasey) Liverpool where he studied at the Mathay School of Music before abandoning academic pursuits to become a jazz Pianist.
Before Long he formed and led a jazz Group which became the house band and ha a Long and sucessful run at Liverpool´s “Cavern” – a venue later noted for a certain not-unheard-of quartet.
Coming to London , Don joined the Cy Laurie Jazz Band and later played with Harry Gold´s Oices Of Eight. He has paid working visits to twenty-two different countries, his most recent overseas Engagement being a five week Season in Sydney, Australia as Vera Lynn´s Musical director and accomponist.
At present Don, who is married to singer Betty Taylor, lives in London and divides his time between working as a session Pianist and Musical director and his nightly appearances at London´s famous Royal Garden Hotel.
Don, who appeared in a T.V. Play as a “Pub” Pianist, was a natural choice for this Album. His happy and disctinctive style makes this L.P. a unique experience in Sound (taken from the original liner notes)
You can popular melodies from movies and Musicals … played in a nice Ragtime style .. ok … it´s fun and fun only !
Don Lowes (piano)
unknown musicians on bass and drums
01. April Showers (Silvers/DeSylva) 2.07
02. Thank Heaven For The Little Girls (Lerner/Loewe) 1.49
03. O Sole Mio (Capua) 2.26
04. Boom Boom Bang (Moorhouse/Warne) 2.07
05. Wand’rin’ Star (Lerner/Loewe) 2.21
06. I’ll See You Again (Coward) 2.12
07. If I Were A Rich Man (Bock/Harnick) 2.04
08. My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean (Traditional) 1.58
09. Santa Lucia (Traditional) 1.48
10. Edelweiss (Rodgers/Hammerstein) 1.45
11. Rose Of Picardy (Wood/Weatherley) 2.21
12. Look For The Silver Linning (Kern/DeSylva) 2.18