This wonderful set of live recordings may have a few flaws audio-wise here and there, but there’s something in the excitement of the proceedings captured here that nullifies all of that. For sheer class, it’s hard to beat Irma Thomas’ or Allen Toussaint’s turns with the crowd, just as it’s impossible to ignore the loose and jagged performances of legends like Lightnin’ Hopkins and Professor Longhair, perhaps the centerpieces of this unheralded work of genius. The real thing in front of the hometown crowd, this is one modern-day live album with some spirit to it. (by Cub Koda)
Once a year, during the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, some of the greatest artists the Crescent City has to offer get together to revel in their colourful past and give fans a sample of what’s in store for the future. The 1976 Jazz & Heritage Festival was no exception to this tradition. The music contained within is not only indicative of the time it was recorded but also transcends time by affecting the popular music being produced today by bands like Galactic.
Most of the tracks on this album were recorded on April 9, 10, and 11 at the R&B segment of the festival. The album contains performances by jazz progenitors and New Orleans greats such as, Professor (‘Fess) Longhair, Allen Toussaint, Irma Thomas, Lee Dorsey, Ernie K-Doe, Robert Parker, Earl King, and Lightnin’ Hopkins.
This is some of the most heartfelt and feel-good music I’ve heard in a while and it’s bound to make you feel the same way. (onepointeightseconds.blogspot)
In 1989 this album was re-rleased by Rhino Records with a complete different cover and artwork.
Tracks 1 to 5 rec. on riverboat “President” 9/4/1976.
Tracks 8, 9, 12 to 14 & 17 to 21 rec. New Orleans Fairgrounds 11/4/1976.
Tracks 6, 7, 15 & 16 rec. Sea-Saint Recording Studio 11/9/1976.
Tracks 10 & 11 rec. Sea-Saint Recording Studio 26/9/1976.
01. High Life (Toussaint) 1.56
02. Sweet Touch Of Love (Toussaint) 3.09
03. Play Something Sweet (Toussaint) 3.48
04. Shoorah, Shoorah (Toussaint) 3.33
05. Freedom For The Stallion (Toussaint) 3.33
06. Workin’ In A Coal Mine (Toussaint) 2.40
07. Holy Cow (Toussaint) 3.24
08. Ain’t It The Truth (K-Doe) 4.09
09. Mother-In-Law (Toussaint) 3.01
10. Barefootin’ (Parker) 3.17
11. Country Side Of Life (Parker) 2.56
Irma Thomas & The Tommy Ridgley Band:
12. You Can Have My Husband But Please Don’t Mess With My Man (La Bostrie) 3.29
13. Cry On (Neville) 3.08
14. I Done My Part (Neville) 2.43
15. Mama & Papa (Johnson) 4.36
16. Trick Bag (Johnson) 4.39
17. Mojo Hand (Hopkins) 3.13
18. Baby Please Don’t Go (Hopkins) 3.27
19. All Night Long (Hopkins) 3.42
20. Tipitina (Byrd) 3.29
21. Mardi Gras In New Orleans (Byrd) 2.56