The London Sinfonietta’s mission is to place the best contemporary classical music at the heart of today’s culture; engaging and challenging the public through inspiring performances of the highest standard, and taking risks to develop new work and talent. Founded in 1968, the ensemble’s commitment to new music has seen it commission over 350 works, and premiere many hundreds more.
Resident at Southbank Centre and Artistic Associates at Kings Place, with a busy touring schedule across the UK and abroad, its core is 18 Principal Players, representing some of the best solo and ensemble musicians in the world. The group also works with talented Emerging Artists, to ensure the unique expertise of its Principals is passed on to the next generation of performers.
Having held a world-leading position in education and participation work for many years, the London Sinfonietta continues this with a belief that arts participation is transformational to individuals and communities, and new music is relevant to people’s lives.
The ensemble has an extensive back catalogue of recordings made over 47 years, which have been released on numerous prestigious labels as well as its own London Sinfonietta Label.
Together with the famous conducter Simon Rattle they recorded a very special “jazz album”:
This has to be one of the most embarrassing cross albums ever. There is nothing worse than classical musicians trying to be “right on” and The London Sinfonietta and Rattle stay absolutely nailed to the studio floor with not one ounce of swing in them. The vocal pieces are laughably wooden in their posh boy delivery. An extra star for recording the Milhaud, a interesting and neglected piece. (by organ boy)
What a wonderful, what a brilliant mixture between classic and jazz !
Original frontcover from 1987
London Sinfonietta conducted by Simon Rattle
Michael Collins (clarinet on 05. – 07. + 13.)
Peter Donohoe (piano on 02. + 13.)
John Harle (saxophone on 01.)
Jeremy Taylor (vocals on 03.)
Harvey & The Wallbangers (on 08., 10. + 11.)
01. La Création Du Monde (Milhaud) 16.28
02. Rhapsody In Blues (original version) (Gershwin) 16.02
03. After You’ve Gone (Creamer) 3.22
04. Nobody’s Sweetheart (Meyers/Schoebel/Erdman/Kahn) 2.34
05. Allegro Moderato (from: Ebony Concerto) (Stravinsky) 3.06
06. Andante (from: Ebony Concerto) (Stravinsky) 2.33
07. Moderato (from: Ebony Concerto) (Stravinsky) 3.29
08. Sweet Sue (Young/Harris) 4.46
09. Dardanella (Bernard/Black) 3.03
10. Makin’ Whoopee (Kahn/Donaldson) 3.41
11. My Blue Heaven (Whiting/Donaldson) 3.16
12. San (McPhail/Michels) 3.16
13. Prelude Fugue And Riffs (Bernstein) 7.46
The young Simon Rattle on drums