Tetsuo Sakurai (櫻井(桜井) 哲夫 Sakurai Tetsuo, born 13 November 1957) is a Japanese bassist. To date, he has released a total of 37 albums as a member of Casiopea and Jimsaku and solo artist, and has also made 3 bass instructional videos.
Tetsuo Sakurai started playing bass when he was 13 years old.
In 1976, Sakurai, with Issei Noro, founded jazz fusion band Casiopea. He released 19 albums while in Casiopea but later left the band with Akira Jimbo in 1989 over musical differences. Both of them then went on to form a new jazz fusion supergroup, Jimsaku. Jimsaku was active for nine years, until 1998, when it was disbanded and both Sakurai and Jimbo went on to pursue individual solo careers.
Sakurai’s third solo album TLM20, released in 2000, was recorded live in a concert with Casiopea members Issei Noro and Minoru Mukaiya, Akira Jimbo, and Kazuki Katsuta of Dimension. The fourth solo album Gentle Hearts, released in 2001, was recorded with Greg Howe & Dennis Chambers. The fifth solo album Cartas do Brasil was released in 2003 and was a vocal ballad cover album recorded in Rio de Janeiro with Djavan, Ivan Lins, Rosa Passos and other artists.[who?] In 2004, Tetsuo toured with Greg & Dennis. The following year, the tour live performances was released on DVD titled Gentle Hearts Tour 2004.
Sakurai is currently composing and playing his own music as a solo artist with domestic and foreign musicians. (by wikipedia)
A new solo album by Japanese famous bassist Tetsuo Sakurai released on this summer in Japan.
This album contains 10 musics; 8 cover songs (Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Micheal Jackson,
Jaco Pastorius, and so on.) and 2 self-cover musics.
And Marcus Miller plays on “Butterfly” for guest!
These musics are slow and medium tempo arranged -Jazz, standard, pops and ballade.
Moreover, he plays Warwick Infinity 5 strings as main bass; Fodera 5 strings, Fodera
Emperor II 6 strings fletless and Fender Jazz Bass Jaco Pastorious tribute model.
And he plays guitar and sings some songs.
Many genres of music harmonized on his bass-play, and appears his humanity.
In this album base melody sing like talking as beautifully as lead instrument.
It’s a heartwarming, gently and sweet album.
Hope to listened by his fan all around the world.
01. The Long And Winding Road (John Lennon & Paul McCartney)
– Beatles song cover plays fletless bass
02. Donna Lee (Charlie Parker)
– Charles Parker music cover like Jaco Pastorious bass play
03. Butterfly (Herbie Hancock)
– Herbie Hancock music cover play with Marcus Miller
04. Sunflower (Henry Mancini)
– “Sunflower” movie track by Henry Mancini plays fletless bass
05. I Wish (Stevie Wonder)
– Stevie Wonder song cover plays 8 tracks bass
06. I Can’t Help It (Susaye Greene / Stevie Wonder)
– Micheal Jackson song cover with his vocal and guitar
07. Sailing Alone (Tetsuo Sakurai)
– Tetsuo Sakurai self-coverd plays one bass
08. Alisa (Tetsuo Sakurai)
– Tetsuo Sakurai self-covered plays bass and guitar
09. Stardust (Hoagy Carmichael)
– American standard song cover solo bass play
10. Miagete Goran Yoru No Hoshi Wo (Rokusuke Ei / Taku Izumi)
– Japanese song cover with his vocal (by Kanako Takizawa)
Tetsuo Sakurai (bass, guitar, vocal, programmin
Imaizumi Taiki (keyboards)
Marcus Miller (bass on 03.)
01. The Long And Winding Road (Lennon/McCartney) 4.08
02. Donna Lee (Parker) 3.07
03. Butterfly (Hancock) 5.54
04. Sunflower (Mancini) 3.56
05. I Wish (Wonder) 3.34
06. I Can’t Help It (Greene/Wonder) 4.07
07. Sailing Alone （櫻井哲夫）(Sakurai) 4.22
08. Alisa （櫻井哲夫）(Sakurai) 4.40
09. Stardust (Carmichael) 2.39
10. Miagete Goran Yoru No Hoshi Wo 見上げてごらん夜の星を （永六輔／いずみたく）(Ei/Izumi) 4.49