If there is such a thing as a British ‘blues pedigree’, then Dave Kelly’s sets the standard. Kelly is a blues craftsman – a journeyman who has served his time with the best.
In New York he jammed with Muddy Waters. He became a friend to Howlin’ Wolf and John Lee Hooker, who both felt the benefit of Dave’s playing in their touring bands. It was Dave’s big sister, the late Jo-Ann Kelly, who first opened his ears to the blues, although his passion for rock and roll – and especially the work of Buddy Holly – remains intact. In 1967 he joined The John Dummer Blues Band. After three albums and a solo project he continued to polish his style and technique throughout an adventurous career with some of Britain’s finest players. When The Blues Band was formed in 1979, the post of slide guitarist and joint vocalist was a foregone conclusion – and bringing his friend, the bassist Gary Fletcher, along to that first rehearsal, was a bonus. Dave Kelly’s guitar and vocals form the very backbone of The Blues Band’s distinctive sound.
And this is a very rare record from the The Dave Kelly Band, recorded live (at The Venue, London) and released in 1983 by a small Italian label called “Appalooso Records”.
And you can hear the “other side” of Dave Kelly … and if you know “McGuiness Flint” you´ll know what I mean, Rockmusic with strong R & B influences. And on this album you can hear a great saxophone player called John Earle (ex-Graham Parker and The Rumour). This record is a real great one !
John Earle (saxophone)
Gary Fletcher (bass, vocals)
Dave Kelly (guitar, percussion, slide-guitar, vocals)
Mick Rogers (guitar, vocals)
Lou Stonebridge (keyboards, vocals)
Rob Townsend (drums)
01. Foolish Pride (McGuinness/Stonebridge) 3.02
02. Lights Out (Fletcher/Gurl) 5.00
03. That’s Why (Fletcher/Gurl) 4.12
04. Best Part Of Breaking Up (Andreoli/Poncia/Spector) 5,30
05. Grits Ain’t Groceries (Turner) 7.35
06. Barnyard Boogie (Grey/Jordan) 2.43
07. Waiting for Bessie (Kelly) 3.41
08. Red, Red Wine (Diamond) 3.26
09. Bad Luck (McGuinness) 3.12
10. Return To Sender (Blackwell/Scott) 3.25
11. When I’m Dead And Gone (Gallagher/Lyle) 7.58
12. Keep On Dancing (Rogers) 3.45
13. Too Bad To Be True (Fletcher/Gurl) 4.30